The seventh of seven factory raced Lancia-Ferrari LC2s built to meet the FIA’s then-new Group C regulations for sports prototypes. The Lancia LC2 (sometimes referred to as a Lancia-Ferrari) was built by Italian automobile manufacturer Lancia and powered by 2.6 liter (later updated to a 3.0 liter for 1984) twin-turbocharged Ferrari V8 engines built by their sister company Ferrari. The twin-turbocharged Ferrari V-8 became an integral part of the chassis structure, producing 850 hp in qualifying and 660 hp in race trim. Power was put to the ground through a Hewland five-speed transaxle. The FIA rules required that the Group C cars get 100 kilometers (62.1 mi) for every 60 liters (16 US gal) of fuel which was problematic for the Lancias.
The LC2s were Lancia’s official factory-backed and Martini sponsored effort in the World Sportscar Championship from 1983 to 1986 and used by privateer teams until 1991. The aluminum-tub chassis and Kevlar bodywork chassis were built for Lancia by Dallara Automobili and Abarth, under the direction of team manager Cesare Fiorio with two main engineers on the LC2 program, Vittorio Roberti (of Lancia S4 fame) and Claudio Lombardi. The LC2 was more powerful than the Porsche 956, its primary competitor and the LC2s were able to secure multiple pole positions during their three and a half seasons with the factory Martini Racing squad. However, deficiencies in reliability and fuel consumption hampered the LC2s’ efforts for race wins against the Porsches. LC2s earned three race victories over their lifetimes in the hands of Italian drivers Teo Fabi, Riccardo Patrese, Alessandro Nannini, and Mauro Baldi, as well as German Hans Heyer and Frenchman Bob Wollek.
For Information on Lancia’s Classiche program please read: Lancia and Abarth Classiche
1984, 23 April, Monza 1000 kms, Martini colors, Baldi/Barilla, on race # 5.
1984, 13 May, Silverstone 1000 kms, Jolly Club/Totip, Gabbiani/Martini, race # 6
1984, 16-17 June, Le Mans 24 hours, Lapeyre/Martini/Gabbiani,
1984, 15 July, Nurburgring 1000 kms, Nannini/Barilla) on race # 5.
1984, 28 July, Brands Hatch 1000 kms, Baldi/Martini/Wollek, race # 5.
1984, 16 Sept., Imola 1000 kms, Barilla/Nannini, race # 5.
1984, 03 Nov., Kyalami 1000 kms, Wollek/Barilla, race # 5.
1986, July, Giacomo Maggi was killed driving LC2 s/n 007 at Fiat’s Campo Volo La Mandria test facility.
1986, this car was rebuilt and sold to Gianni Mussato who also bought the rebuilt s/n 003 and all of the spares for the LC2 program.
1988, after the Martini Group C program ended, LC2 s/n 007 was sold back to Abarth Lancia by Gianni Mussato and fitted with the 3.5-litre Alfa Romeo Tipo 1035 V10 engine from the Alfa Romeo 164 Procar, and developed it under the project name SE047. The Alfa Romeo Tipo 1035 V10 engine was originally built for the Ligier F1 team and produced 620 bhp at 13,300 rpm and 280 lb·ft of torque at 9500 rpm
1992, 01 Dec., sold by Giorgio Pianta of Fiat Auto SPA Alfa Corse directly to –
2017, 27 July, Maurizio Zarnolli inspected four cars at – for Fiat-Abarth-Lancia Classiche. All will be approved with their white book in mid-late September.